Striving to Live a Life of Adventure, Excellence, and Faith.

Happy New Year - 2019 Goals and Word of the Year



Happy New Year Sweet Friends!!  I hope you had a great New Year's Eve, even if it was just relaxing at home or celebrating with family and friends.  Matt and I headed to dinner with Jamie, Kristy, and Little Bit, and then came home for a relaxing night.  Matt works ONE MORE DAY, and then he is FINALLY off a few days to recover from this hectic holiday season. I took the rest of the week off work too, so I am really looking forward to spending some time together this week, even if its doing nothing.  

New Year's Eve Dinner with the fam

Over the past few weeks (since the first of December), I have been thinking, praying, and working on goals and vision for 2019.  These are not simple "resolutions," but action items that will really help me plan for a productive year ahead.  

I use a system called PowerSheets by Cultivate What Matters to help guide me through the goal planning process.  There are about 67 pages of prep work, but its sooo worth it.  I simply slow down, take my time, and everything comes together nicely.

So without further adieu, below are my 2019 Goals and a little detail about each one of them. 



Goal #1 - Draw Near to God 
James 4:8 is one of my favorite verses in the bible - "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you."  I love the simplicity of this verse, because it simple states that if we desire to be closer with the Lord, we can take a simple first step and draw closer to Him and He will return our action and draw closer to us.  

In 2019, I really want to continue to draw closer to the Lord.  To depend on the Holy Spirit more, and to share the salvation of Christ with others.  I know this will lead to more peace, rest, love, and joy into my life, and who doesn't want more of that.  

Mini Goals 
 - Read through the Old Testament in a Year.  In 2018, I read through the entire bible, but this year I am yearning to SLOW DOWN a little, and focus on the Old Testament.  In 2020, I will focus on the New Testament.  I will be following this plan this year.

-Prayer Journal - Last year, I came across a small business that I just fell in love with and wanted to try some of their products.  The company is called Val Marie Paper, and they specialize in prayer journals.  Since it was mid-year, the annual prayer journals were sold out; however, I got the six month prayer journal and LOVED it!!  So this past August, when the 2019 Prayer Journals went on sale, I jumped at the change to get an annual one.  I spent a few hours on Sunday prepping my journal, and cannot to jump in and see what all God has in store for our family this year. 

- Write the Word Challenge - I've decided to commit to the first 31 days of 2019 to actually writing the Word and praying it.  I use a  journal called "Write the Word" and I love it.  I have finished one book and on my second one.   To follow along with the challenge, click here. 

- Begin attending church, join a church, and get involved with a church.  This is something God has really been putting on my heart the last few months.  I have always been involved in church and/or a small group my entire life, but since moving back home four years ago, Matt and I haven't found a place to call "home."  However, to be honest, my walk with the Lord still remains strong, but I yearn for the Christian connections and friendships.  I miss serving others in the church and community, and I am expecting the Lord to lead us to our "home church" this year.  I am also praying that the Holy Spirit helps me break the habit of sleeping in on Sundays and gets me back in the habit of wanting to be in church instead.  

-Take part in an in-depth study of a book in the bible.  This past year, was the first year I didn't study a book in the bible and I really missed it.  I am really hoping new studies come out, as I am eager to jump in.  I also think it would be awesome to do this with a group of women (I miss my small bible study groups from Knoxville.) 

-Spend time each week enjoying a longer quiet time.  I have a quiet devotion time each day, but I always like to spend at least one day reading the word, praying longer, worshiping, etc.  This time is so precious to me, and I want to make it a habit each week. 

-Worship Playlist - I usually create a worship playlist each season (about four a year), and I plan to do it again this year. 
  


Goal #2 - Build a Solid Financial Foundation 
This is another VERY important goal for Matt and I, as we really believe if we can live within our means now, it will free us up to live and give generously later.  I really want to take time to learn about a zero based budget, and even have a few books on finances and money that I want to read this spring too.  

Mini Goals
- Use an app like Mint or Every Dollar to establish and follow a budget. 

- Save money for an emergency fund. 

- Save for vacation (or two)

- Review our retirement plans, and make adjustments and changes. 


Goal #3 -  Develop a consistent morning routine
By the end of 2018, my morning routine was awful.  I simply got out of bed (at the last minute), got ready, and headed to work.  I didn't do anything for myself.  I believe that starting the day off strong sets us up for a successful day ahead.  

Mini Goals 
- Establish a morning workout plan 

- Journal 4-5 times per day 

- Quiet time with the Lord each day (bible reading, Write the Word, etc.)

- Read 1 Chapter in a book every morning 

- Set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. each morning, and go to bed between 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. each night. 


Goal #4 - Learn to cook 24 New Dinner Recipes 
I have a list of about 6-8 "go to dinner recipes, but I find that I am fixing the SAME thing over and over each week.  So, my goal in 2019 is begin researching and cooking new dinners each month.  My goal is to cook 2-3 new dinners each month that can become my "go-to" meals in the future. 

Mini Goals
- Learn to cook 2-3 new dinner recipes each month

- At the beginning of each season, pin 10-20 dinner ideas to Pinterest to try. 

- Strive for half of the meals to be REALLY healthy and clean food. 


Goal #5 - Flourish in our marriage
I absolutely LOVE our marriage, but I always strive for our marriage to get better and better each year. I want Matt and I to grow closer to one another, making our relationship the best its ever been. 

Mini Goals
- Schedule monthly date nights

- Plan a weekend getaway

- Go on a relaxing vacation 

- Find unique ways to show Matt how much I truly love him


Goal #6 - Establish Fruitful Friendships 
I have some amazing friends in my life, but often times weeks and months go by and I realize I haven't connected with some of my closest friends in ages.  I really desire to develop friendships that are more consistent and include "doing life together" not just catching up every now and then.  

Mini Goals
- Send a card each month a friend

- Reach out to a good friend each week via phone and catch up

- Get together with my childhood friends for a group dinner a couple times per year. 

- Host friends over to my home throughout the year for fun dinner get togethers, not just holidays. 

- Celebrate milestones, birthdays, and anniversaries with cards, calls, texts, dinners, etc.  


Goal #7 - Love My Family BIG 
I have the best family.  I am so lucky.  But, sometimes I know I don't spend as much time with them.  My family is so important to me, and I want to use my health, time, and resources to help them and love them.  

Mini Goals 
- Weekly Parents Dinners 

- Bi-Weekly Lunches at In-Laws house 

- Connect with extended family (aunts, cousins, etc.) on a regular basis 

- Celebrate milestones, birthdays, and anniversaries with cards, calls, texts, dinners, etc.


Goal #8 - Get involved in the community
Since moving home, I have focused all my energy on spending time with friends and family, because it was something I didn't get to do a lot when I lived two hours away.  However, I began noticing last year, that I really missed being involved in the local community.  This year, I really hope that I can begin volunteering for one or two organizations, and begin connecting with people in the community. 


Goal #9 - Cultivate color and adventure into my life
If you know me AT ALL, you know that my go to colors are black, gray, and maybe white.  I like simply and clean lines, and haven't taken time to add much color in my life.  However, I truly believe that color in a painting or art is like enthusiasm for life.  I want to add a little excitement to my life, and I believe adding a little color and adventure to my life will bring a smile to my face, and make life a little richer. 

Mini Goals 
- Add flowers to our front porch in the spring and summer

- Add color into my wardrobe 

- Complete the items off my 39 Things Bucket List 

- Read 12 Books in 2019 

- Celebrate my 40th Birthday in a Special Way

There you have it friends, my goals for 2019.   The way I accomplish these goals is to break them down into smaller tasks and begin working away at them one day at a time.  

Here is a picture of my January Goals 


And, finally, I wanted to share my Word of the Year with you.  During my prep for my 2019 Goals, I discovered a word for the year.  This word helps with vision and action in the year ahead.  In 2017 my word was Joy, and in 2018 it was Discipline.  This year my word is:


If you have made it to the very end, THANK YOU!!!  

Here is to an incredible 2019!!  





No comments


© Cardigan Chic

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig