Its been a little over five (5) weeks since I started cleaning up my diet and living a healthier lifestyle. I am feeling so much better and have more energy than I have in years. And, even though I feel better, that is not the only thing that has changed, I am also cooking A LOT more, and truly making this change a complete lifestyle change.
Over the past week weeks, I have come across a few recipes that I have LOVED. And, I thought it would be fun to start a few blog series and share a few recipes from time to time, and share some of the things I am LOVING lately.
Today's recipes are two sides that go great with several meals, and the best part, they are really healthy for you.
Recipe #1 - Sweet Potato Fries
(Photo by Recipes(dot)com)
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (3tsp)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Halve the sweet potato length wise and cut each half into however many fries you would like! Place them on a sheet pan and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix all the dry ingredients together except the basil and pour over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes and then turn with a spatula (keep your eyes on them cause every oven is different). Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
Recipe #2 - Chicken Slaw
Note: Remove the Chicken to make a side or include the chicken for a healthy lunch.
- 6 1/2 ounces chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup apples, tart, peeled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, low-fat
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon white-rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut cooked chicken into bite-sized chunks. Slice green onion.
- In a bowl, toss the chicken, onion, cabbage, carrot, apple, pecans and raisins.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and pepper. Pour over chicken and cabbage mixture. Mix gently.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with a calorie free beverage.
What do you think? Are these sides you may incorporate into your meals?