Striving to Live a Life of Adventure, Excellence, and Faith.

Has it been worth it??????????



You know that saying, "The Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle,"  well I am living proof that this saying is true.  More than 18 months ago, my career life took a turn down a windy, curvy, bumpy road that I could have never imagined I would have made it through.  The organization I work for went through a media and public beating for a situation that was totally out of the staff's control.  However, with insane hard work and dedication, we have successfully made it through the battle and are much better people for the journey. 

I use this blog to capture key moments in my life, and also share insights and happenings with my family and close friends.  I wanted to highlight the past year, so when I look back in several years, I will realize what an incredible opportunity this has been for me, especially when I thought at times it was more than I could've handle and then have the Lord carry me through. 

So in saying that, I wanted to share some of the things I have learned over the past 18 months:

  • Honesty and Integrity are the most valued attributes a person can have. 

  • When going through a crisis, you learn who your true "friends" really are in business and in your personal life.

  • Hard Work often requires working 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day for months on end to get through the storm.

  • Consistency and Positivity can take you really far. 

  • When opportunity presents itself STEP UP, hang on, and be true to yourself.  The end result is really worth it.

  • There are mornings that facing the day seems like too much, those are the days that you have to lean on your closest friends/co-workers.  They consistently picked me up, helped and encouraged me until I was back to normal again. Usually these self-pity stages lasted less than an hour. 

  • Trust - That word means more to me today, than it did 18 months ago.  

  • Having a boss and senior team that believe in me, even when I doubt myself, and has my back  with no questions asked, is more rewarding than words can express. 

  • Work for someone you respect and admire - It makes the tough lessons worth it. 

  • You will not always be right, and that is a good thing.  Its in those times you grow the most. 

  • Successfully writing a Request for Information, Request for Proposal, Marketing Plan, Annual Report, and major parts of a National Accreditation submission gives you a feeling like you can accomplish anything.  (Esp. when I had an boss tell me in college that I needed to find a new career, bc I could not write. Hard Work, I tell you!)

  • Listening to your biggest critiques and being proactive with what you hear is the only way to get through a crisis. 

  • Even after 18 months, there are days I have a hard time catching my breath, from the intense pressure and mass amount of work.  But. on those days my faith is renewed because I know the "Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle" and "He has already gone before me and made a way."

  • Laughter is medicine for the soul. 
     
  • Be yourself, even though its different from how things have "always been done." Being an authentic person or being an authentic organization is the only way to be.
     
  • Wear flip flops to work..........even with a suit.  Makes for a happy day.
     
  • Its okay to make a mistake, just don't make it twice. 
     
  • Being close minded and judging people can kill a team. So either fix it, or send 'em on their way.  There is no time for that.
     
  • And, finally - be passionate about what you do, and all the hard work really doesn't feel like "work" it feels like your fulfilling your purpose. 

So, the question is, have the last 18 months been worth it?  Has it been worth the not sleeping, stressing my body beyond what should be allowed, worrying, becoming a workaholic, always over thinking every conversation and situation, etc? 

Absolutely!!!! 

Why? Because in the last 18 months I have grown more as a leader, as a manager, and most of all as a person.  I know myself better, and know the type of leader I am and want to be.  I can lay my head down at night, and know I've done all I can to be a good steward of my job.  I have a long way to go to be the person I desire to be; however, I am excited with the direction my career has taken and all the exciting things ahead for not only me, but the awesome team I get to work with.

So, back to that saying, "The Lord Doesn't Give Us More Than We Can Handle," I believe that sometimes He does, however, during those times He gives us strength and wisdom to get through it, while also surrounding us with awesome people to make the success worth the journey.  

#lifeisgood


post signature

1 comment

emily said...

Glad you're on the upswing and hope things continue to go well!


© Cardigan Chic

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig